Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Blog #1 Jour 4460: The Grapevine is Dead. The Timeline Lives.


Etta James, and R&B singer, died today from a battle with leukemia. I did not find out about her death from a music channel on TV or the radio. I found out about it through a CNN story shared on Facebook. While I was at work I overheard two young women talking about her death and how they read about it on Twitter. I think this is proof of how people, especially college age students, use social media to get their news. Even if the story did originate with CNN more people probably saw the story on their newsfeed or timeline.

Even though her death was what people saw they had to go to the website to read the story so that they could get a cause of death. I think that this is what makes social media great. If you want to find out about something you don’t have to comb through a physical newspaper or news website. Just look on your trending topics on twitter to see what’s grabbing people’s attention. And that’s usually how I find out about news.

No comments:

Post a Comment