Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Jour 4470 Blog 5 - Fin


What did I take away from Jour 4470? Quite a few companies lack common sense. It actually amazed me a little bit to see a decent amount of case studies where companies lost their status or public because of a lack of common sense.

Trouble occurred after a code of ethics, whether advertising or public relations, was not followed. Any of the codes of ethics are simple concepts. They are values that are usually learned at a very young age. Accountability, honesty, fairness and etc. aren’t complex subjects.

I wasn’t expecting the openness of class discussion. It caught my attention, though. The frankness of the comments given by both the professor and students was interesting to hear. This was a good transition class because it took whatever filter differentiated a classroom setting from a work setting.

Do I think this class will help when I enter the “real world?” Of course, after this class I have a better understanding of the law in reference to journalism. I also like the insight I acquired through class discussions from students of a different major. It was helpful hearing their points of view on some touchy issues. Issues like, marketing techniques geared to encourage children to consume sugary cereals. Who’s responsible for the child’s eating habit, the parent or the marketing company pushing the cereal?

While the professor did a wonderful job putting together the necessary information we needed, the most impactful lessons came from moments that weren’t in the lesson plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment